FRANCES CONE BURNAM

Wilmington - Frances Cone Burnam, age 95, died on August 6th, 2018 at home in Glen Mills, PA. A long time resident of Wilmington, Delaware, she is survived by four children: Jack (Jeannette), Carl (Bonnie), Mamie Beth, and Ross (Evelyn). Her husband of 66 years, C.W., died in 2010.

Always called "Frances", Mary Frances Cone was born on April 10th, 1923 in Dallas, Texas. She graduated from Sunset High School in 1940, the University of Texas at Arlington in 1944, and the same year, she and C.W. were married at her family home in Dallas.

Above all, Frances was a loving and devoted wife and mother. She brought a remarkable level of beauty and artistry to home-making. Gardening, cooking, sewing, decorating--all seemed to be natural gifts, conceived and completed with a generous amount of hard work and her omnipresent wry sense of humor. She created an aura of good cheer and welcome in every aspect of the family home in Bellefonte, authoring countless holidays and homecomings of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends over the decades.

She loved to drive. For 10 years, she drove a school bus for the Mt. Pleasant School District, and only--very reluctantly--gave up her car at the age of ninety-two.

She began playing piano in grade school, and was particularly fond of Gershwin, Chopin and Beethoven. The 1930 Chickering spinet that her father bought for her at age 10 followed her until it was finally passed on to the next generation in 2016.

She was a faithful and devoted member of Immanuel Episcopal Church, Highlands from 1975 until her passing. There she served on the Altar Guild; founded and led the Bakers Guild; sang in the choir; created banners and liturgical fabrics; and was active in the Eucharistic Visitors and prayer chain ministries.

Holy Eucharist in Celebration of Life will be held at Immanuel Church, 2400 W. 17th St, in Wilmington, at 11:00 AM on Saturday, September 8. The family will greet friends at 10:00 at the church. The service will be followed by a reception in the Parish Hall.